June 2, 2015
It is a privilege of growing up in Australia that pretty much everyone can swim. It’s hot here, there are lots of pools and even more beaches so it is hard to avoid the water. We define ourselves as a nation of water loving swimmers and for the most part it is true.
But not everyone living in Australia grew up here. Actually there is a huge proportion of Aussies that where born outside of Australia. And in many of those places, swimming is not an everyday activity. What that means is there are plenty of adults in Australia that are not strong swimmers. In fact there are plenty of adults the world over that cannot swim.
So this post is dedicated to the millions of adults out there considering learning to swim. We are so excited for you! Swimming is such a wonderful activity. Not only is it a great sport for health and fitness, it is pure joy just gliding through the water when you can swim. The freedom of water is so refreshing and there is so much to do and enjoy in and around the water.
Getting ready to swim
There are loads of great resources online to help adult learners to get started. I have pasted a few links at the end of this article. But for our part we wanted to help any non-swimmers who are considering to learn to swim to take the plunge with a bit of motivation! So here it is.
Our top 5 reasons to learn to swim as an adult.
1. Just because you can! It is a life achievement to be able to swim and you are never too old to learn. Learning new things is so good for us, in mind and body, and learning to swim is right up there with big ticket life achievements. Learning to swim will make you feel good. It will make you proud of yourself.
2. Because 70% of the world’s surface is covered in water. There are so many places you will be able to go and enjoy once you can swim. Not only beautiful beaches and oceans, but lakes and rivers too. Learning to swim opens up so many amazing experience opportunities. When you can swim you can go anywhere.
3. So you can get in and enjoy all the fun with the kids. Kids love the water and most schools these days have great learn to swim programs for kids. You don’t want to miss out on all the fun. When you can swim you will feel just like a big kid in the water. There is nothing quite as much fun as splashing & diving around like a seal!
4. Because as you get older swimming is about the best exercise you can do. Swimming is low impact so it doesn’t stress those tiring joints and points. Swimming also stretches you out & loosens you up so it is perfect for sore backs, necks and shoulders. Swimming is also great for your lungs. No regular swimmer has any problems with loosing their puff. Swimmers have the biggest and healthiest lungs of all. Plus swimming will tone you up all over as it works muscles from the tips of your fingers down to your toes.
5. Lastly and most importantly swimming just makes you feel good! There is something about the feeling of water rushing all over your skin. It is truly invigorating and will make you feel fresh and alive for the rest of the day. It is a feeling you just can’t go through life without experiencing and enjoying!!
So if you are thinking of learning to swim and reading this I hope we have helped get you over the line. Go for it….you will not regret it!
The pool is ready for you!
Some useful links for adults learning to swim:
http://www.swimmunity.com – An online community for adults learning to swim
http://www.wikihow.com/Prepare-for-Your-First-Adult-Swim-Lessons – How-to instructions for basic swimming
http://wtaq.com/blogs/health-fitness/755/adult-swim-7-tips-on-learning-to-swim-as-an-adult/ – Some practical tips for getting started and staying on.
http://www.terryrich.com.au/beach-swim-robes/women – Some great swim parkas and swimming robes to get you to and from the pool in comfort and style.